Local Students

Definition of Local Students
According to the Education Bureau (EDB), Local Students are holders of the following documents issued by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR:

- LS1 Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card; or
- LS2 Documents issued by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR showing right to land / right of abode in Hong Kong; or
- LS3 One-way Permit for entry to Hong Kong; or
- LS4 Full-time employment visa / work permit; or
- LS5 Dependant visa / entry permit (for students who were below 18 years old when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR); or
- LS6 Visa / Entry permit for Quality Migrant Admission Scheme; or
- LS7 Visa / Entry permit for Capital Investment Entrant Scheme; or
- LS8 Visa / Entry permit for Admission Scheme for the Second Generation of Chinese Hong Kong Permanent Residents; or
- LS9 Visa label for unconditional stay

Language requirement for Non-Chinese-Speaking local students
HKSYU accepts alternative qualifications in Chinese for students who have met either one of the aforesaid circumstances of a NCS student:

(a) learned Chinese Language for less than 6 years while receiving primary and secondary education; or
(b) learned Chinese Language for 6 years or more in schools, but have been taught an adapted and simpler Chinese Language curriculum not normally applicable to the majority of students in our local schools.

The basic Chinese requirement for a NCS student is having:
• attained a grade A in GCE A/AS Level in Chinese; or
• attained 5 or above in Chinese A for IB exam

NCS students who do not possess the above basic Chinese qualification should pass a Chinese Entrance Exam for NCS Students offered by HKSYU to fulfil the requirement.