Definition of Non-Local Students
According to the Education Bureau (EDB), for the purpose of admission to post-secondary programmes, Non-local Students are holders of the following documents issued by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR:

- NLS1 Student visa / entry permit; or
- NLS2 Visa / Entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates; or
- NLS3 Dependant visa / entry permit (for students who were 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR);

Besides, applicants who do not hold any of the documents of a local student are also defined as Non-local Students. For more details, please refer to the definition of 'Local Students'

Language requirement for Non-Local students
Non-Local applicants should be able to demonstrate his/her English and Chinese proficiency. Applicants can present documentary evidence which may include:

For English requirement:
A minimum of 5.5 IELTS; or
A minimum of 550(paper-based) and 79 (internet-based) in TOEFL; or
Equivalent of the above*

*HKSYU will also consider English result a candidate attained from international public examination(including but not limited to IB/GCE/SAT)

For Chinese requirement:
Grade D in GCE AL/AS level in Chinese; or

Grade E/grade 3 or above in GCSE/IGCSE Chinese; or
A minimum of point 4 in IB Chinese A; or
Attained level or above in Applied Learning Chinese; or
Equivalent of the above
applicants without the University's recognized language qualification are required to sit for the English / Chinese written exam accordingly.

Visa Application
According to regulations stipulated by the Immigration Department, non-local students who do not have the right of abode / right to land in Hong Kong are required to apply for a valid HKSAR student visa / entry permit through their Hong Kong institutions, which will take up the sponsorship for their studies in Hong Kong. HKSYU will assist those admitted students in applying for student visas / entry permits and paying the visa application fee in advance to the Immigration Department. Students need to pay the visa application fee to the Registry when reporting their arrival. After receiving the Hong Kong student visas / entry permits, students should apply for the Exit-Entry Permit in their household Public Security Bureaus. Persons with visitor visas are not allowed to study in Hong Kong.

Cost of Living
The cost of living in Hong Kong is generally high. The estimated basic cost of living for a single student is around HK$10,000 to HK$15,000 per month to cover food, lodging and general living expenses, depending on the type of accommodation selected and level of living and personal expenses. The above estimate does not include the tuition fee which may vary by programme depending on the credit load to be taken.

On-campus Accommodation
The University offers on-campus accommodation for non-local students. Due to the limited residence places, there is no guarantee that all students will be granted a residence place during their studies.

Personal Accident and Medical Insurance/Travel Insurance
It is mandatory for all non-local students to have suitable and adequate insurance which should include but not limited to travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalization and emergency evacuation/repatriation throughout the entire period of their studies in Hong Kong.

For more information about assistance for non-local students, please click here.